Does peloton have a camera? Yes, Peloton has a camera and a high-quality camera at that. It ranges between 5MP and 8MP. Essentially, the camera is installed to allow you to have a video chat with your followers, friends, and fellow riders on the Peloton. Other than that, you can use the camera to take photos of yourself or your environment for a nice Peloton profile picture.
How to use a camera on a Peloton bike, bike plus, and tread? We will look into the details of enabling and working with the camera.
Before that, though;
Why Does Peloton Have A Camera?
The peloton camera has three primary purposes for which you will need it;
- It is suitable for a live camera profile picture for the peloton profile.
- You use the peloton camera whenever you want to have a video chat with a fellow peloton user during your classes
- The camera is suitable for a video chat with the support team whenever you have a challenge with your peloton equipment. You can also request your instructor for a video chat in case you need some special attention.
Peloton Camera Specifications
The Peloton equipment has different camera specifications as follows;
- Peloton bike: 5 megapixels
- Peloton bike plus: 8 megapixels
- Peloton treadmill: 8 megapixels
The camera also features a privacy slider, which keeps you from constant video calls from other users.
A Step by Step Guide on Using the Peloton Camera
The Peloton camera has two uses;
- Taking the Peloton profile picture
- Peloton video chats in classes
1. Taking the Peloton profile picture
On the top right corner, click on your profile picture to get your profile settings. If you want to change your profile picture, click on your current profile picture in the profile settings.
It will give you two options, ‘camera’ and ‘upload picture.’ In this case, you will select the camera so that you can take a selfie or a background photo for your profile. Once you click on the camera, you will turn it on, and it will be ready to take a picture.
2. Enable Video Chatting
- Click on the profile settings, then select ‘Social Tab.’
- Click on ‘Enable Video Chat’ to get the camera on the social tab.
- You should be in the same class as your chat partner for a productive video chat. Therefore, scroll down the Leaderboard names to check on your friend.
- Click on your friend’s username to get the ‘Talk’ option.
- Tap on ‘talk’, and your video chat request will get to your friend.
- You don’t have to start the chat when you enable the camera. Your friends in the same Peloton class can get you through a video chat as well.
Conditions for Video Chat on Peloton
For a video chat to be successful on Peloton, the following conditions have to be in place;
You can only video chat with a person when you have subscribed to the premium peloton subscription. Why? You can only chat with a person on the Leaderboard, and you only have access to the Leaderboard with a premium subscription.
Your friend has to be in the same class as you are. You cannot communicate with someone taking a different class from you. Therefore, you have to ensure that you are both in class at the same time and training under the same instructor.
The two of you should be using the same Peloton equipment. For instance, you should both have a tread. If you have a tread while your friend is using the bike, the chat will not work.
Your friend must enable video chat as well. The fact that Peloton comes with a camera does not mean that you now have the nuisance to deal with. You have the option to disable the camera at will so that you don’t have video calls at specific times. Unfortunately, if your friend has disabled their video chat option, you will not manage to chat with them.
How to Disable The Peloton Camera
Basically, the peloton camera is off by default as long as you are not using the peloton equipment. Moreover, even when you have a class, the camera is not used to view you. Being in a live class doesn’t mean that the instructor and other members of your class can see you. The only way that the camera will work during the class is when you are having a video chat.
However, in case you are using the equipment and still want your privacy to yourself, here’s a quick way to ensure that you get it;
Primarily, the peloton camera has a privacy slider. If you slide it to the left, no peloton user will manage a video chat with you.
So, Can Peloton Instructors See You?
No, they can’t. The camera on your bike or tread is basically for taking selfies for your profile and video chatting. You are the one who sees the instructor, but they can’t see you. It would be too much to watch thousands of riders that ride in the class if they did. Read more about this in this article.
On the plus side, you can still seek personal attention from the instructor by asking them a question. You will also see them sending you a high five whenever you manage a milestone.
You can use the Peloton screen camera for the profile picture and video chats during peloton classes. Enabling the Peloton camera and using it is simple, just as with other gadgets such as the laptop. With the above steps, the ball is now in your court. Have fun with friends and fellow users and quit loneliness with the Peloton bike or tread.